Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Mon Feb 17, 2003  5:55 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Correct speaking

===I have had a few students that have had vocal problems (serious
enough to seek medical attention) and in each case it was speech-
related. One such student saw a speech therapist, with whom I had
contact. I had always been told that it was important to speak in a
higher register than normal. She informed me that current thinking
was that this was not the case.===

I have had occasion to send a number of students to UNC and Duke U.
voice clinics, and, in most cases, speech habits were more to blame than
singing by far. Certainly, speaking in too low a register for a
prolonged time (some almost press down on the larynx when speaking) can
cause vocal problems, but my speech therapist friends work on raising
the "median pitch" level of the speaking voice, and on incorporating
more of the high register with the low (let's not start the register
debate again, let's just think about achieving balance in this
regard!)in speaking rather than on simply speaking in a "new" or higher
register. Vocal problems in speech can also be related to breath
function and onset so work is done with these as well.

I have, over the years, developed a very good relationship with both
departments and they sometimes send singers whom they have been treating
for singing-related problems to me to help them re-learn healthier
habits.

Sharon Szymanski

emusic.com