Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Mon Feb 17, 2003  2:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rolling R's

I've always been told repeating "pot o'tea" over and over will eventually break
into a roll ... 5 note descending scale on that phrase for each note -
eventually it will sound like "parrty, parrty, parrty, parrty, parrty!"
However, most of my students who have trouble with rolled r's still sound like
they are saying "pot o'tea" numerous times...

I can relate to this, because as an undergrad music ed major, I had to take
techniques classes in a variety of instruments. I was hopeless at the snare
drum in percussion because I couldn't not roll. There were only two of us in
the class (we used to alternate skipping) and the other one was as hopeless as I
was. The poor teacher would instruct us to use our sticks on our practice pads
and tap a rhythm of "ma-ma, pa-pa, ma-ma, pa-pa" over and over, gradually
getting faster, until we would magically break into a roll. It never happened.
We'd just sit there banging away at
"ma-ma-pa-pa-ma-ma-pa-pa-mama-papa-mama-papa-mamapapamamapapamamapapa" ad
nauseum and never roll. I guess that's what it's like not to be able to roll
your r's....

Christine Thomas
Voice Studio of Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

"If you look goofy, you probably sound goofy."
--Marianna Busching