Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cindi Waters <musicteachky@y...>
Date:  Sat Feb 15, 2003  8:05 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] classical music today...

Hello, List. I'm new here, just joined, and really enjoy your conversations. I'm
a music teacher at a private school, teaching piano and voice. Talking about
'teaching' someone to love music, I can only say that oftentimes people
(children) are influenced by the enthusiasm of another. I love teaching music,
and I love most music. Since I know most kids will be exposed to pop music on
radio and TV, I consider it my privilege to expose them to classical and folk.
I'll leave jazz for another time. I usually start young ones with nursery songs
and folk songs, then I start playing, as soon as possible, operatic selections
or good show music! I feel it is my privilege to introduce them to these sounds.
I also encourage their parents to bring them to live shows in our area and some
of them do that! Cindi Waters, the Singing Piano studio, Paris, Kentucky.
Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...> wrote:Randy B. wrote:

>You have to be tought to love it? hmm...

Now, Randy, why do you want to be nit-picky here on Valentine's Day?! You know
good and well what I mean! But since you insist on stirring the pot, I'll go so
far as to say that no one is able to teach anyone else anything at all! Each of
us is the only person who can teach ourselves anything. So what, then, do we
professional teachers do? We share our experiences and information or skills
that we may have, and just put it all out there, hoping that our students may
find something useful. My students take ideas I share with them and go to the
practice room to teach themselves to sing. And if I share my love of classical
music with them and help them see how they can enjoy it more, they may come to
appreciate it. Or maybe they will appreciate it all on their own -- many do.
But often things that are more complex take a little knowledge in order to be
fully appreciated. I try to help my students acquire some of that knowledge.

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu