Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cindi Waters <musicteachky@y...>
Date:  Sat Feb 15, 2003  8:52 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Correct speaking

Hello, alex69rox and listers. I will tell you as a vocalist, that you can hurt
your voice by speaking improperly. While I never had a problem, I began to
encounter one when I started to learn Chinese (Mandarin dialect). The speaking
tones are produced entirely different from English and in a different portion of
the throat with a different mechanism. I would wind up coughing and feeling pain
just from speaking. So, yes, the proper production of the speaking voice is
important to avoid hurting your throat in particular. (Now I have to learn to
speak properly in Chinese!) But now ... about that Michael Jackson thing ... you
need to ask your teacher why he(?) feels it is necessary to speak so carefully,
softly or in such a high tone. I'm curious as to his answer. Cindi.
"alex69rox <alex69rox@y... wrote:I am a barritone,
I have been taking voice lessons for 6 months:

Everytime I start speaking like my voice teacher tells me to, I sound
really weird, like Michael Jackson lol. I was just wondering if I
must speak in such a high (girly) tone to preserve my voice? thanks!

emusic.com