Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Feb 14, 2003  10:13 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] classical music today...

Randy B. wrote:

>You have to be tought to love it? hmm...

Now, Randy, why do you want to be nit-picky here on Valentine's Day?! You know
good and well what I mean! But since you insist on stirring the pot, I'll go so
far as to say that no one is able to teach anyone else anything at all! Each of
us is the only person who can teach ourselves anything. So what, then, do we
professional teachers do? We share our experiences and information or skills
that we may have, and just put it all out there, hoping that our students may
find something useful. My students take ideas I share with them and go to the
practice room to teach themselves to sing. And if I share my love of classical
music with them and help them see how they can enjoy it more, they may come to
appreciate it. Or maybe they will appreciate it all on their own -- many do.
But often things that are more complex take a little knowledge in order to be
fully appreciated. I try to help my students acquire some of that knowledge.

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22684 Re: classical music today...Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Fri  2/14/2003
22690 Re: classical music today...Cindi Watersmusicteachky Sat  2/15/2003
emusic.com