Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <naomi@n...>
Date:  Fri Feb 14, 2003  3:01 pm
Subject:  Re: magazines???

Nande wrote:

>- what would be your main reason(s) for reading a magazine like CS
>- if you were the editor of such a magazine, what would you focus on?
>- would you like to see magazines on only one style, or more then
>one? (say, classical combined with pop)
>- do you know of any european magazines on vocal issues?

I subscribed to CS for a few years and have since let my subscription
lapse. When I was reading it, I valued most the audition listings,
articles on how to get jobs, articles on how to stay organized and
manage your own career. I also enjoyed the profiles on other singers
and the short occasional pieces that provided artistic inspiration or
addressed perseverance. I stopped reading when the focus seemed to
become more and more superficial, with emphasis on lying about one's
age and getting plastic surgery and losing weight. Also I took a
hard look at where my jobs were coming from, and they were not coming
from the CS listings but from working my own contacts, etc.

I would think it might be hard to combine genres and still be useful,
particularly in the area of getting gigs. I must admit, though, that
my knowledge of how to get jobs is nil in the pop area. My jobs are
in classical music, new music, and musical theatre.

Naomi Gurt Lind
--
http://naomigurtlind.net

emusic.com