Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 14, 2003  2:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] classical music today...

Well, here's a third opinion to toss into the mix for what it's
worth . . .
To me, the term "Classical" is a misnomer. "Classic" (meaning popular
beyond its age) would be a better term but even it no longer works in
my estimation. The bulk of the opera performed today is from other
periods than "Classical" in any case.

Things change; they change whether we like it or not. Popularity
changes values AND values determine what is popular. Ironic huh? The
two are inextricably intertwined but then, that's the way the real
world is.

I see vocal music and the education required to perform it, as it
exists today, as having a range from the extremely formal to the
extremely informal. In formal singing, i.e.; opera, operetta,
oratorio or art song recital, a formal education is an absolute
necessity, but after that, it's optional. If a singer is smart and
they want to keep their instrument in shape, they'll realize that
they need some training no matter what their style, but ultimately,
it's up to them.

I consider myself a connoisseur of vocal art but, at the same time,
I despise pretentious, elitist snobs. I like all kinds of vocal
music and feel that there is good to be found in nearly everything,
everywhere. Any style of music must have some intrinsic value or no
one would listen to it.

Musical style and vocal technique are not necessarily the same
things. For what ever reason, many singers today - in many styles -
have poor diction, poor production, poor pitch perception and not
much dynamic, timbral or expressive range. Many performers (I
hesitate to call them "artists") rely on gimmicks to cozen a
generally vocally ignorant public. Flash a little belly button;
squeal, sigh, coo, grab your crotch, simulate an orgasm and you can
fool a lot of the people a lot of the time. And finally, if they
can't sing, they can always "tweak it in the studio"! And then their
fans wonder why they don't sound so hot live. Hey, there's no
accounting for taste, right?

NYCO and many other opera companies that enjoy excellent reputations
do what used to be called "musicals" a la "Sweeney Todd", "A Little
Night Music", etc., and La Boheme (yes, Puccini's) is running on
Broadway. According to a recent show on NPR
(http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1039237), opera
is in the middle of a tremendous resurgeance. Go figure.
Regards to all,
Les

emusic.com