Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Feb 12, 2003  6:52 pm
Subject:  Re: RE: [vocalist] Correct speaking

Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...> wrote:
>This reminds me of a question I have been pondering concerning our speech and
that "darned ole jaw!" If singers have jaw tension because we use the jaw for
support/articulation, then doesn't it stand to reason that we would also have
jaw tension in our speech? And if so, wouldn't this make it more difficult to
get rid of, since we speak more than we sing

I'm not responding in regard to singing, but I wanted to comment that since I
have been dealing with my own jaw tension in singing, and seen in the mirror
what I look like WITH jaw tension, I notice it all the time in people I see on
television, particularly public figures who aren't actors. I've noticed, for
example, that there's someone on TV who's I find hard to understand (not because
of an accent), I also see a lot of jaw tension, which makes it appears the
tension is preventing the speaker from getting consonants out clearly.

This is consistent with my own singing, because when I got my jaw relaxed, all
of a sudden, my consonants came out easily and with no effort at all! And this
has crossed over into an improvement in my speaking diction.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22637 Re: Correct speakinglestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...>lestaylor2003 Thu  2/13/2003
emusic.com