Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...>
Date:  Wed Feb 12, 2003  9:44 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Correct speaking-question for Dr. Diane!!

Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...> wrote:
I often have to do this with students in my speech class, who think they have
only a three-note range! And very few of them think they are singers. By the
time I finish with them, they have a whole different understanding of their
vocal instrument, even if they use it only for apeaking.

---This reminds me of a question I have been pondering concerning our speech and
that "darned ole jaw!" If singers have jaw tension because we use the jaw for
support/articulation, then doesn't it stand to reason that we would also have
jaw tension in our speech? And if so, wouldn't this make it more difficult to
get rid of, since we speak more than we sing? Should those of us who deal with
jaw tension deal with it even when we are NOT singing? I have actually done
away with a great deal of tension in my singing voice in the the past few
months, mainly jaw, so I am pretty paranoid about keeping it gone...

Funny this came up, as I have really been "studying" on it lately!

Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22620 Re: Correct speaking-question for Dr. Diane!!Clark_Diane  Wed  2/12/2003
emusic.com