Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Cheshire" <vocalist@c...>
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  9:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: David Jones voice lesson CD

Dear Michael and list
> Could you tell us a little bit about your lesson with David Jones -
> what did you learn, and what was different about his teaching?

David's approach is inspired by the old italian school and the new
Swedish school. There was a lot of emphasis on the italian vowels -
open, resonant, free..., yet the approach was very different to that which
I had known.

One thing he demonstrated was how I could find more resonance by closing my
mouth into a kind of "ooh" shape. He uses the Swedish "ee" sound in exercises
to illustrate this. I was always taught to open my mouth wide on
vowel sounds, so to find more resonance with my mouth closed was
quite amazing for me.

He used very simple exercises to demonstrate important technical points.
Step by step he got me to really experience what a "relaxed tongue", "low
larynx", "relaxed neck", etc, feel like - all through very simple vocal
exercises
and explanations.

All in all I found the lesson to be full of technical good sense without it
"feeling technical".

John

http://www.vocalist.org

emusic.com