Vocalist.org archive

From:  Helen Duggan <qed@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  9:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vibrato question

KURT wrote:

> Vibrato in singers, as I'm sure some of you are aware, is the word
> used to describe the sound that emanates from a singer's mouth that
> is literally a going up and down in pitch and volume when a given
> note is being held. Vibrato also occurs in other instruments as
> well, but must be forced by the instrumental player, and unlike
> singing, there is usually no variation in the pitch, though there is
> one in the volume.

This is not quite accurate. Flute vibrato as I was taught it does involve
slight variation in pitch, as does string vibrato. Some flute players have a
natural vibrato, others have to develop it, but "forced"?. Either way,
although it's by no means the whole story, a sense that vibrato for the flute
is basically diaphragmatic both in origin and control, helps to ensure that
the throat remains relaxed, and a tight, electric vibrato in a thin sound is
thus avoided - a result also to be avoided in singing!

Regards

Helen Duggan

emusic.com