Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  9:16 pm
Subject:  Re: Discussing Vocal Exercises on the Web

Dear Les and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "lestaylor2003
<LesTaylor@a...>" <LesTaylor@a...> wrote:
> *********************
> I couldn't agree more. Nothing replaces an experienced set of eyes
> and ears. But I see no reason not to discuss the exercises we use,
> how we use them and why we use them as we do.

Ok - my contribution is "Count Chocula" and I have post a .wav file
in the files section that I recorded with my cheap microphone/headset
and laptop computer. Comments? - other than telling me I'm not very
good ...

The idea for me of this exercise is:

a) develop a bit of a headier sound in the chest voice and into the
passaggio

b) counter the tendancy for the larynx to rise

c) start at a medium to highish pitch and slide down

d) be a little silly and not be too precise with pitches in an effort
to avoid the tension that some (like me) have when trying to match
specific pitches and "sing"

e) connect the speaking voice to the singing voice

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com