Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura M" <cprcrnsongbird@h...>
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  4:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vibrato question

Kurt,

I am a bit confused by your e-mail. First you say that vibrato is
detrimetal to the health of the voice, then you say, let the chords
naturally create vibrato.

I wish to make a couple of comments on what you posted.

First of all, it seems strange to me that a teacher would say vibrato is
detrimental to the health of the voice. All of my private teachers have
always disliked choral singing in which the directors asked the singers to
use "straight tone" or no vibrato because the private teachers felt this
request puts strain on the voice, esp when the choral director doesn't know
how to ensure the singers are using good technique while singing without
vibrato.

Secondly, as a person who played cello for 10 years and studied privately, I
have never heard that vibrato wears the strings of the instrument. I would
think the vibrations created by the bow are a larger strain than the moving
of the fingers to create vibrato. My teachers in fact always asked me to
use as much vibrato as possible to help keep the tones warm and pleasant to
the ear.

>Also the machine affect you're talking bout is what
>vibrato actually does, experts usually complain of the
>loss of the sound of true pitches with these vibratos,

How is the machine gun affect what vibrato actually does? I don't know what
creates this type of vibrato but I sense that it is tension of some sort.
It sounds like perhaps air flow is not allowed to pass freely. I can see
how there is a loss of pitch with this type of vibrato. I hear that in the
singers I am referring to.

I also wanted to point out that I didn't say this was a problem I have,
rather it is a problem I hear in other singers. I just want some
information about this type of vibrato and how to "fix it" (if possible) so
that when I have students again in the future, if any of them have this
problem, I can help them have a natural vibrato.

Thanks, and curious to find some answers to my question.
:-)
Laura