Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 11, 2003  4:29 am
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Is there a "mix-falsetto" thing?

Dear Les and Vocalisters:

I hear Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's soft high range singing on Die
Schone Mullerin as a kind of Feigned Voice rather than a falsetto. I
hear a high larynx phonation method which is characteristic of this
kind of vocal production. It is effective for his uses but I do not
feel it is necessary and I do not hear it as falsetto although I
would have no objections to falsetto over feigned voice. Both are
phonation/resonance approaches to singing that I do not think are
particularly valid for a classical singing style. I also question if
this vocal production would be well heard in the concert hall; fine
for recording but maybe only in the recording studio.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com