Vocalist.org archive

From:  Edward Norton <belcantist2003@y...>
Date:  Mon Feb 10, 2003  10:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Flying monkeys

In 2001 I took my Cairn Terrier, Loch Tay's Toto, Too of Oz, to the Oz Fest at
what used to be "The Land of Oz". We saw several "Winged Monkeys" and
"Winkies" and an original spear and outfit worn by a Winkie in the movie. 300+
little boys and girls petted Toto, picked him up, hugged him, had their pictures
and video made with him and the little 15 pounder was worn to a frazzle by the
time he got off that mountain! He was petted by two original Munchkins, one of
whom had nothing kind to say about Ethel Milne Gumm, the Mother of Judy Garland.
I asked this Munchkin if I could have referred to Mrs. Gumm with the same
terminology I reserve for my Toto's Mother. I was told that would be TOO kind
of me! Mrs. Gumm could be clearly heard a block away yelling at her three
daughters. Even after all these years, it's still sad!
I would often refer to Billie Burke's singing in the movie when talking with
sopranos who sang with a "wobble" in church choirs. Pointing this out with
that familiar example often fixed the problem.
Ed

emusic.com