Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Diminuendo'85 <diminuendo1906_1985@y...
Date:  Sun Feb 9, 2003  6:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Lyric Soprano vs Dramatic Soprano...

Dear Christine,

Hmmm... I think thats a very wise solution ^_^ Thank you very
much... My musical knowledge is not developed... I am not sure
whether I am full or light lyric... I m 17yo ^_^... I've only loved
music for the last 2 years + I had final high school exam... hence
didn't get much opportunities to build my musical knowledge (and
techniques as well).

Its hard to learn whilst surrounded with stuff that switch on my old
pessimistic-self... Thank you for your positive solution. I shall
try to accept what ever happens in the future and develop whatever
voice I'll have...

In what age do you think women's voice is fully developed? I know I
am still at the 'unstable' stage :P ...

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Christine Thomas"
<Mezzoid@w...> wrote:
> There are a lot of lyric soprano roles. Are you a full lyric or a
light lyric or what? How old are you? I'm sure Karen has at her
fingertips a list of the different roles for each fach so I'll just
say that as a lyric, there is work to be had.

> Beverly Sills once spoke about doing an ill-advised AIDA for
Cleveland Opera (or Lyric Opera Cleveland, can't remember which) and
said it was like a guppy pretending to be a whale. You are what you
are - you may develop into a heavier voice type as you grow older -
or you may not. You have to accept what you are and what you can do
with it.

> Christine Thomas,
> Mezzo Soprano
>
> "I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-
a!"

emusic.com