Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Angela Stansberry" <stansberry72@h...>
Date:  Sat Feb 8, 2003  4:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Good Summer Programs? HELP!

I went to Brevard a in '95. I believe it cost around $2000 then for those
who were not granted scholarships. It may be run totally different now, but
the summer I went they brought in 36 women for 12 roles (counting minor
ones). Nothing was double-cast, and auditions were held the first or second
day, so a lot of people got there and had nothing to do for 7 weeks but sing
in the chorus. Being a mezzo, you might have better luck - most of the girls
were young soubrettes. I thought the vocal lessons were secnd-rate at best,
and there were only a handful of group acting & stage movement classes.
Everything was done in English. Not much to say about the town, although
there are some beautiful waterfalls and mountains to speak of. If you don't
take your car, you're stuck at the camp the whole 7 weeks. There isn't any
public tranportation, and it's kind of out in the middle of nowhere.

I also saw 2 performances from Opera in the Ozarks last summer (I assume you
are talking about Inspiration Point in Eureka Springs, AR). The surroundings
and living conditions were much like Brevard. Both theaters are outdoors,
although I.P.'s is much smaller. I believe they perform everything in the
original language, and I was impressed enough to want to go back. They do
doublecast, I believe.

But at either place, you will feel like you're camping the whole time. If
you like the outdoors and don't mind small-town life, you will love it!
Eureka Springs is a nice little tourist town, with lots of B&B's, arts and
shopping. I definitely prefer that town to Brevard.

The best advice I can give is to be sure and pick a program where you know
what roles you are doing BEFORE you get there. I don't mind paying for a
good program at all. But I would mind paying to be stuck in a small town,
singing in an opera chorus for half the summer, you know?

Good luck!

>From: "Audrey Gamez <letmusiclive4ever@a...>"
><letmusiclive4ever@a...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [vocalist] Good Summer Programs? HELP!
>Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:51:24 -0000
>
>I think I may have asked this before but I would still like some
>feedback on the subject, as, I imagine, many of the other people who
>have posted here recently regarding summer programs. Can anyone
>recommend a good summer program, especially one that is good AND
>reasonably priced? I am looking at applying to Seagle Colony,
>Brevard, Opera in the Ozarks, possibly OperaWorks and maybe Dorian
>Opera Theater. If you know anything about any of these programs or
>any others that might be appropriate for a 21-year old mezzo looking
>to audition for summer programs for the first time, please let me
>know!
>
>Thanks a bunch,
>Audrey Gamez

22504 Re: Good Summer Programs? HELP!Laura <cprcrnsongbird@h...>cprcrnsongbird2002 Sun  2/9/2003