Vocalist.org archive

From:  patricia.m.smith@j...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  8:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Natural sore throat suggestions?

In answer to the original question, I find that ginger, which I take in
capsule form, gives some temporary relief to sore throat pain, as well as
relief for some other things such as headaches. Also, a tea called
"Throat Coat" helps me, again, temporarily. I prefer the natural cough
drops (Ricola & some by Robitussin) as they don't produce as much mucus
as Halls, etc. Halls, etc., are good, however, when you have a sore
throat combined with congestion as they can temporarily clear up the
congestion (maybe that's where the additional mucus comes from??).

I haven't found anything that gives relief for an extended period of
time. I usually have to just wait it out. As long as I don't overdo it
(i.e. spend lots of time practicing), my singing doesn't seem to be
effected too much if my throat is just sore. The big battle for me is to
keep sinus congestion from moving into my chest. That seems to be when
the problems singing begin & I also wind up being sick for weeks at a
time. Unfortunately, that only way I've been able to avoid that problem
lately is by starting to take Sudafed or equal at the first signs of
congestion. Can you say "sandpaper in your sinuses"? I know you can...
:-)

On a similar note, can any of our physician readers make suggestions
about what might relieve a sore throat due to radiation treatments? My
aunt is struggling with this right now & would appreciate some input.

Thanks!
Pat

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:10:19 -0500 "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
writes:
> Your throat (or pharynx and hypopharynx) and larynx with the vocal
> apparatus
> are two separate areas. Nothing you put into your throat is
> supposed to
> touch your vocal folds because your epiglottis is there to prevent
> it.
> Occasionally we aspirate liquid and cough or choke because the
> larynx goes
> into spasm.
>
> Even if you did use a topical anesthetic, e.g., benzocaine, in your
> throat
> and accidentally inhaled some into your larynx and made your folds
> numb, as
> long as you did not take advantage of the opportunity of reduced
> sensation
> to scream or otherwise abuse your voice you will not be harmed.
> Benzocaine
> wears off in about an hour.
>
> If you have a sore throat due to infection, suck on any soothing
> cough drop
> or sore throat remedy you like. Different people have different
> opinions on
> menthol and oil of eucalyptus. Used in commercially available
> preparations
> (Hall's, Vicks, etc.) they are safe although some people find even
> more
> mucus on their vocal folds in response to the menthol. Making your
> own
> menthol preparations can be dangerous as it is toxic in high doses.
>
> Tylenol (acetaminophen or paracetamol in Europe) at doses of 1000 mg
> every
> six hours helps. I believe short term use of ibuprofen is safe for
> singers.
> Because it is anti-inflammatory, it may work better as a pain
> reliever.
> 400-800 mg every 6-8 hours for most adults over 150 lbs (70 kg) is
> reasonable for a few days unless you have a history of aspirin
> allergy or
> history of GI ulcer or kidney failure.
>
> Please avoid silver compounds (Argyrol for one) as they are not
> effective in
> reducing the infection or the pain and in chronic use can lead to
> grey skin
> discoloration.
>
> John
>
> John Messmer, M.D.
> Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
> Penn State Hershey Medical Center

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22482 Re: Natural sore throat suggestions?Edward Nortonbelcantist2003 Fri  2/7/2003
emusic.com