Vocalist.org archive

From:  patricia.m.smith@j...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Amateur opera companies in major cities

There are a lot of amateur choirs & theatre organizations but you don't
hear much about amateur opera companies here in Chicago either. We went
to a production by the Opera San Bernadetto about 6-8 years ago, which
was a mostly amateur production but I don't know if that organization is
still in existance. The University of Chicago always does a G&S
production in the spring & a lot of that cast are amateurs but the leads
are always pros. Light Opera Works has open auditions but they are
considered professional. There's a G&S society but I don't know much
about them. I think that you'd have to check into productions being put
on by colleges & universities around here.

Pat

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:12:37 -0800 "Elizabeth Finkler"
<mightymezzo@h...> (snip)
> Well, Ingo, there aren't many amateur companies in Philadelphia,
> where I started singing seriously. On the other hand, the Bay Area
> (including San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, Livermore, etc.) has so
many it's hard
> to avoid tripping over them, not to mention three Gilbert & Sullivan
> companies and innumerable semi-pro and community theaters putting on
> musicals.
>
> In bocco al lupo!
>

> Elizabeth Finkler
> San Jose, California
> mightymezzo@h...
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22499 Re: Amateur opera companies in major citiesKatherine Parkerspecielekk8 Sat  2/8/2003
emusic.com