Vocalist.org archive

From:  "razor8882003 <decentefsci@h...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  5:30 pm
Subject:  Re: Chord closure problem

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "katherine94040
<modulate58@a...>" <modulate58@a...> wrote:
> You must listen to what your teacher is telling you about this,
but
> as I read your post, your current condition is not necessarily a
bad
> thing. Some singers who do not have good upper voices need to work
on
> falsetto (some teachers call it upper register or head register).
In
> the beginning of developing this register, it can sound breathy or
> hooty. The reason is that the vocal chords are >not< closing. That
is
> the way they work when you sing falsetto. They do not close.
Singing
> falsetto exercises part of the vocal muscles and singing chest
voice
> exercises another part. After the falsetto gets strong it can be
> an "equal partner" to the chest voice and they can work together
> make that beautiful thing we all call head voice. I am way over-
> simplifying and omitting the details, but that is the general
idea.
> I suggest you do some reading up on how the voice works from a
> physiological standpoint. It may help answer your concerns. There
are
> many good texts on this subject but they take some committment as
> they are not always easy to read.
> Hang in there

Dear Catherine.
I have discussed this issue with my teacher.
He doesn't believe in building head voice from falsetto.
He prefers using trills, humming exercises,etc.
He claims that falsetto can be streghtened,but it can't reach the
quality of pure head voice.He also thinks that this method is also
unsuitable for blending the registers.

What should i do?

Thanks for once more.

emusic.com