Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Jun 7, 2000  11:04 pm
Subject:  Re: Countertenors/Castrati

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Linda Fox wrote:
> Joseph Ward and William Lambe, both described as counter-tenors.
> Lambe, incidentally, is credited with singing "Thou shalt break them"
> which is usually a tenor solo.

Dear Linda,

I always thought "Thou shalt break them" was a terribly unflattering
aria for tenor! Thank you for that information, maybe I'll add that to
my rep :-) Do you know the original key?

> 12 April 1750: London, Covent Garden Theatre (1 performance) -- with new
> settings of "But who may abide the day of his coming?" and "Thou art
> gone up" composed for the alto-castrato Gaetano Guadagni.

Thank you for clearing this up for me! Did he write anything else for
Guadagni? I've always liked the range for that aria. I know he wrote a
lot for Senesino too, though, at some point - was this mainly in his
Italian opera years? Wasn't he the one of whom he said: "His throat is
the most perfect instrument in the world."? Thanks again.

-Tako

emusic.com