Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Fri Feb 7, 2003  7:48 am
Subject:  Falsetto Pedagogy, was [vocalist] Re: Pavarotti Mezzo Falso

Dear Lloyd and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> I have found in over 40 years of teaching male voices that it is
very
> uncommon for a singer to successfully use falsetto as a method of
> learning to use head voice. In fact, falsetto usually becomes a
kind
> of high voice crutch that the singers musculature coordination will
> revert to automatically, pre-empting his attempts to make the
> coordinations necessary to move from chest voice to head voice. I
do
> not recommend it.

On the one hand, I personally feel quite supportive of Lloyd's
statement, since I spent many years with no progress on my head voice
hooting away in falsetto.

On the other hand, my recent set of lessons is making me question
some assumptions I had... for now, let me just mention and cite an
excerpt from the following article by Titze:
http://www.ncvs.org/singers/use_low.pdf.

Titze writes, "Now, much debate has occurred among singing teachers
about the use of falsetto register in training the high male
voice...We can stop disagreeing on this point...A connected
falsetto...is the only means of achieving the upper pitch range for
some singers. But the most gifted singers may not need this lighter
mechanism. Their vocal fold mucosa is thick enough and their
thyroarytenoid muscle is strong enough that the full vocal fold (in
thickness and depth) can be kept in vibration throughout the pitch
range. For those singers who struggle...the lighter mechanism is a
wise choice."

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22495 Re: Falsetto Pedagogy, was [vocalist] Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  2/8/2003
emusic.com