Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...
Date:  Thu Feb 6, 2003  10:59 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: Pavarotti Mezzo Falso

OK, I think my problem with the whole issue (today) is that there
seems to be no problem with women about "head voice" but there is a
big confusion with men. And I think the problem is that we just
accept that whatever a woman does unless they are belting as "head
voice."

Women sometimes have a horrible time connecting their upper voice
with their lower voice - yet they are never "accused" of singing in
falsetto. It is more-or-less accepted that women should "build"
this light voice and eventually it will "connect" to the lower voice
and everything is OK.

On the other hand, if a man sings a light tone that does not connect
well with the chest voice it is most-often labeled "falsetto," and a
bad stigma is given to the tone. It seems like somehow a man has to
find some (initially) light voice that "connects" to his chest voice
or it is wrong. Meanwhile any tone is "accepted" that a woman
makes - they are just encouraged to support more, and "build the
tone" or something.

To me it is simpler, and probably more accurate, just to say that
the light tone up high is usable. The desired effect is to combine
it's quality with your lower voice, etc., etc.

John

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> Dear John and Vocalist:
>
> I finally downloaded and listened to the sample you posted of
> Pavarotti singing a portion of "Caro mio ben".
>
> There is no falsetto singing in any portion of this example. His
> softest tones are all in head voice. The vocal folds are
adducted.
> If this is what some on the list call falsetto then it is obvious
why
> we have had such a difficult time coming to any conclusions about
> this subject.
>
> This Pavarotti sound clip is a classic example of head voice.
> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22445 Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoAnthony Howdenantnee1027 Thu  2/6/2003
22450 Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Fri  2/7/2003
22454 Vibrational Modes, was Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Fri  2/7/2003
22494 Re: Vibrational Modes, was Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoLloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  2/8/2003
22501 Vibrational Modes, was Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Sun  2/9/2003
22563 Re: Vibrational Modes, was Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoReg Boyletranquil2404 Tue  2/11/2003
22564 Re: Vibrational Modes, was Re: Pavarotti Mezzo FalsoEdgewoodVoiceStudioedgewoodvoicestudio Tue  2/11/2003
22565 The Composer!!!!Reg Boyletranquil2404 Tue  2/11/2003
22566 Re: The Composer!!!!EdgewoodVoiceStudioedgewoodvoicestudio Tue  2/11/2003
emusic.com