Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Feb 5, 2003  12:10 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Natural sore throat suggestions?

Your throat (or pharynx and hypopharynx) and larynx with the vocal apparatus
are two separate areas. Nothing you put into your throat is supposed to
touch your vocal folds because your epiglottis is there to prevent it.
Occasionally we aspirate liquid and cough or choke because the larynx goes
into spasm.

Even if you did use a topical anesthetic, e.g., benzocaine, in your throat
and accidentally inhaled some into your larynx and made your folds numb, as
long as you did not take advantage of the opportunity of reduced sensation
to scream or otherwise abuse your voice you will not be harmed. Benzocaine
wears off in about an hour.

If you have a sore throat due to infection, suck on any soothing cough drop
or sore throat remedy you like. Different people have different opinions on
menthol and oil of eucalyptus. Used in commercially available preparations
(Hall's, Vicks, etc.) they are safe although some people find even more
mucus on their vocal folds in response to the menthol. Making your own
menthol preparations can be dangerous as it is toxic in high doses.

Tylenol (acetaminophen or paracetamol in Europe) at doses of 1000 mg every
six hours helps. I believe short term use of ibuprofen is safe for singers.
Because it is anti-inflammatory, it may work better as a pain reliever.
400-800 mg every 6-8 hours for most adults over 150 lbs (70 kg) is
reasonable for a few days unless you have a history of aspirin allergy or
history of GI ulcer or kidney failure.

Please avoid silver compounds (Argyrol for one) as they are not effective in
reducing the infection or the pain and in chronic use can lead to grey skin
discoloration.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center