Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Mon Feb 3, 2003  11:17 pm
Subject:  Double Counting, was Re: Question

Dear Rob and List:

One more thing - the whole "counting" issue.

Let middle C be C4. Suppose I can sing from C3 to C4. There are two
different "Cs" - but it is only one octave. I think sometimes people
add an extra octave in the counting.

Rob wrote, "I'm able to sing four octaves..."

In general, I think women will more often have longer "legitimate"
ranges than men, and 2 1/2 to 3 octaves is a very good range.

I think about 2 1/2 octaves of good/useable/performance range for a
man would generally be quite impressive - imagine a rich bass voice
able to sing from a low F (F2) up to a high Bb (almost tenor high C) -
that is 2 1/2 octaves.

I know there are men that can claim 4 octaves of range, although at
least a portion of such range would be regarded by most
as "falsetto", and I have cited the example of sopranist Randall
Wong. I can't even come close. I'd be happy with two really good
octaves myself.

Let's look at it this way: forget about unusual noises - let's talk
about "standard" pitches/ranges.

A true bass is generally expected to be able to sing, with quality, a
low F which is F2. Of course some deep basses can sing lower - maybe
the "C" below that (C2). Many baritones and even tenors can sing
these notes - but not necessarily with a good quality, not
necessarily much volume, and perhaps not consistently.

A high soprano might be asked to sing/perform perhaps the Eb or even
F (not sure?) above soprano high C - that would be say F6.

To be able to sing then from a bass low F to a (high) soprano's high
F would be 4 octaves.

Is this possible? Yes, but not that common. And, more importantly,
not that useful.

Cheers,

Michael

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date