Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 31, 2003  5:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: The Language of Singing

In a message dated 1/31/2003 12:02:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LesTaylor@a... writes:

> Friends who know Miller personally, tell me he's very humble,
> personable and accessible in his workshops and in private and that he
> doesn't come across the way he does in his books at all. I have heard
> tapes of his teaching also which seem to bear that out. His teaching
> seems pretty normal to me. I can tell you however, that If I knew he
> were sitting at a nearby table at a NATS convention, I'd be very
> careful about what I said.

Les, You are right about his teaching seeming 'normal' and being different in
tone from his books, particularly STRUCTURE OF SINGING. Now, having said
that, Richard has also told me that if he had it to do over again, he would
structure the book quite differently and make it more accessible. The best
combination of his writing and work is to attend one of his master
classes/workshops, generally held in the summers at major universities. I
went a number of years in a row, and each course held new lessons for
me...but remained consistent and positive, as well as technically and
musically sound.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy-Boltz
Raleigh NC