Vocalist.org archive

From:  "lestaylor2003 <LesTaylor@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 30, 2003  7:57 pm
Subject:  Re: More philistinism in D.C. (grrrrrr)

Karen: I don't agree with the OperaAmerica spokesman that
disposability is what we need. I think composers should write what
they are inspired to write absent concerns about the endurance or
disposability of their works.
**********************************
I expected that without the context, there would be some objection to
the use of the term. I'm pretty sure that your second sentence is
precisely what he meant to say. I was wondering why no one called him
on it during the beginning of the interview until he clarified his
intent later.
**********************************
Karen: I can't say whether Mozart or Rodgers *intended* for their
works to outlive them, but the fact is, neither composer seems to
have sacrificed QUALITY in order to pander to a lowest common
denominator of a throw-away culture's popular taste.
**********************************
Honestly, I don't think it even occurs to genius. I suspect that they
just have the urge to create and the quality is a product of their
muse.
**********************************
Karen: Composers should write what they believe to be GOOD, and leave
it to posterity to determine whether that "good" is also "enduring"
or merely "disposable".
I can't think of any reason anyone would shoot for less than their
best.
Good to read you again Karen.
Regards,
Les