Vocalist.org archive

From:  "mjruhl@s..." <mjruhl@s...& Date:  Thu Jan 30, 2003  6:46 pm
Subject:  WASH DC: Body Awareness in Singing

Forwarded from my Alexander Technique technique from this instructor.

Cheers,
Mary Jane Ruhl

Dear colleagues:

I am writing to let you know that I will be teaching a new course at
Levine's Maryland campus called "Body Awareness in Singing", beginning this
coming Monday Feb 3 from 7-8 pm. The course runs for 14 weeks (Mondays
from 7-8), and is designed for intermediate and advanced students, both
adult and high school. The cost is $315 for the semester. The class,
while it will address vocal technique, is primarily an exploration of how
healthy vocal technique is integrated into the whole of the body. We will
address body alignment, patterns of tension and how to release them,
breathing, body language in performance, and the development of detailed
and accurate kinesthetic awareness. Drawing from the disciplines of
Alexander Technique, Body Mapping, Yoga and Pilates, over the course of the
semester students will learn to move more freely and consciously, and to
understand the ways in which this body awareness directly improves their
vocal performance. Students will be expected to perform several songs from
memory and need to come dressed in comfortable clothes.

This is an ideal course for adult students who need assistance freeing up
the body from tensions that inhibit their singing, or who need time
learning to be comfortable in their bodies as they sing. If you know of
students who might be interested, please have them contact me or call
Levine's Maryland campus directly at (301) 933-0929. I am happy to answer
any questions about the course.

Thank you!

Sarah Hoover

Body Awareness in Singing
Mondays 7-8 pm
Instructor: Sarah Adams Hoover
Levine School of Music's Maryland Campus
St. Paul's United Methodist Church
10401 Armory Street
Kensington, MD 20895
First Class: Februay 3
Cost: $315
Registration or more information: (301)933-0929

--- Sarah Hoover
1912 Elkhart Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
301 495-7725