Vocalist.org archive

From:  Helen Duggan <qed@n...>
Date:  Wed Jan 29, 2003  8:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hyperthyroidism medication and voice

boobook wrote:

> Hi, I've just been diagnosed with an over-active thyroid (hyperthyroidism). I
am currently undergoing tests to find out why and then will start treatments of
some sort. As yet, I don't know what treatment. Is anyone aware of any
treatments or medications that could harm my voice, and if so, suggest any
alternatives? I am a dramatic soprano.
> Thank you
> Christine Welsh, Sydney, Australia

I am currently on medication, for the third time in about 12 years, for Graves
Disease. My experience is that Carbimazole corrects the significant negative
effect that the condition has on the voice and singing generally . Because I
have good "luck" with this medication I have not so far seriously considered
radioactive iodine treatment.

Helen Duggan
(country Victoria, Australia)

emusic.com