Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Wed Jan 29, 2003  7:04 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Ben Heppner Med & Caution....

I'd like to clarify this. Thanks for the information on what medication was
involved as I was curious myself.

Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors are very useful medications
for high blood pressure and protection of the heart and kidneys in heart
failure and diabetes. They inhibit an enzyme that converts angiotensin I
into angiotensin II [if you care ;-)]. In some people they allow backup of
the precursors of angiotensin I, a group of chemicals called "kinins."
These can cause a tickle or cough which in some people can be very
irritating. They can also cause hives in the airway which can be dangerous.

I'm actually surprised he was treated with an ACE inhibitor since the risk
of interference with singing is too great. There are other options
available. But then I don't have all the medical facts, so I won't comment
further.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com