Vocalist.org archive

From:  TheSinatraGuy@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 28, 2003  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] itch/tickle in throat on high notes?

In a message dated 1/28/2003 12:50:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
toda@m... writes:

> Does anyone have any experience/insight into this phenomenon? Maybe
> it's just advancing age...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tako Oda,
> Countertenor

Hi Oda,

You need to let the cords heal at least 24 hours after singing.
According to baritone Sherrill Milnes, the cords get swollen and
out of shape after singing. New research shows that it takes
72 hours for the cords to regenerate. They have always said
that if you sing right you shouldn't feel anything wrong, but
science is taking things to another level. I have had that
tickle sensation before, and it did scare me. It seemed to
vanish once I gave things the proper rest.

I would also strongly suggest that you keep properly hydrated.
Voice doctors and experts will tell you that the cords love
moisture. Since we are over 70% water, it is important that
we drink half our body weight in ounces each day. If you
weigh 200lbs, then drink 100ozs per day very slowly. The
body absorbs water slowly, so sip it slowly during the day.

You might also be aware of keeping a good alkaline balance
in the body. If you are too acid, then the cords will take longer
to regenerate. There are two good books subject titled:
"Acid and Alkaline" and "Alkalize or Die." Your worst enemy
as a singer is soft drinks. Soft drinks are pure acid, and you
can never be in good alkaline while drinking them. I used to
drink this Japanese calcium water to keep in good alkaline. It
took 32 glasses to counter the acid of one soft drink!

Good luck,

Steve

emusic.com