Vocalist.org archive

From:  "edsmed969 <michael.gum@d...
Date:  Mon Jan 27, 2003  6:55 pm
Subject:  Re: Sherrill Milnes healing advice

NEVER suck on ice cubes ... sure they reduce swelling .. but they
dont help the voice ... the best thing for you to do is to relax
those 'tensed and swolen cords' and ice wont do that ..

My suggestions ....
1) warm down your voice after a preformance ... kinda like a rubdown
or hot tub bath after a rigorous physical activity .. I warm down
with soft eee's throughout my vocal range starting on the highest
comfortable note
2) medications can numb the throat .. they can make you lose 'feel'
especially cough drops with menthol ...
3) hydrate the hell out of your body ... I'd say at least a 2 litre a
day .. if not more
4) the 24 hour window he speaks of isnt always possible to follow ..
you best bet is to warm down your voice .. then warm it back up slowly
5) if you are swelling up .. you need to get a vocal coach to assist
you to sing with proper form .. any swelling you get should be
minor ..

Mike
Edison's Medicine
www.edsmed.com

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, TheSinatraGuy@a... wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I wanted to give you some great advice that I received from Sherrill
> Milnes in a master class. Mr. Milnes said that you shouldn't sing
> for 24 hours after a performance. He said that the chords get
> swollen and out of shape, and it takes 24 hours for them to heal.
> He was so steadfast about his advice that he didn't sing one note
> during the class. I suck on a lot of ice cubes now, which I hope
> is good? I have also heard that taking any medication that numbs
> the throat can damage your chords? Does anyone else have any
> good tips for protecting your vocal chords?
>

> Steve
> P.S. I attribute vitamin C for keeping my chords strong, and I
take
> it every day.

emusic.com