Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Jan 27, 2003  3:48 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Titze, was Re: The Coordinated Falsetto Between Chest and Head

>Here is a set of interesting articles by Ingo Titze:
>
>http://www.ncvs.org/singers/colmenu.html
>
>I particularly found the article on choral singing "The Physiological
>Absurdity of Choral Arrangements" interesting:
>
>http://www.ncvs.org/singers/phys_abs.pdf
>
>Titze explains that the difference between male and female voices is
>closer to the difference between a violin and a viola - (a fifth
>apart), and with the vibrating length of the male vocal folds on
>average about 60% greater in males (sorry for my incorrect previous
>number of 40%).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Gordon

Thanks for this reference Michael. I have been looking for something
like this for quite a while. The one I found particularly relevant to the
subject is the one from Mr Titze, entitled ;

"The Use of Low First Formant Vowels and Nasals to Train the Lighter
Mechanism".

Specifically the last two paragraphs.
The writers clear words finish with #..." A virtual guarantee that they have
arrived is if they can crescendo and decrescendo without cracking
on very high notes with these partial occlusions.
They have learned how to lighten the voice, yet stay connected to the
vocal tract." #
Funny how even though its about lightening the voice and warm ups,
it also includes reference to the messa di voce.

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22209 Titze, was Re: The Coordinated Falsetto Between Chest and Headmjmoody2000 <mjmoody@c...>mjmoody2000 Tue  1/28/2003
22210 Re: Titze, was Re: The Coordinated Falsetto Between Chest and HeadJamestranquil2404 Tue  1/28/2003
emusic.com