Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sat Jan 25, 2003  11:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Tel jour telle nuit

Lloyd

I often find that Poulenc hid at least one "gem" in each cycle. I love
"Nous avons fait la nuit", as much for the poem itself as Poulenc's very
intimate setting of it. I find the same with Banalités, and the sudden
change of mood going from "Voyage a Paris" into "Sanglots", which I would
say competes with "Nous avons fait la nuit" for Poulenc's finest.

I often feel with Poulenc that his very lightness of touch in many of his
settings provides the contrast for his deeper work, so that when he turns to
a poem such as Sanglots, then the effect is so much more profound due to
this contrast. When composers are all angst with no relief, then the angst
can sometimes become mundane. Are there any other composers that listers
feel have this ability to switch from light to darkness (as it were) to
really jolt the listener into a new space?

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK