Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Carl S. Rogers" <mikado3848@j...>
Date:  Sat Jan 25, 2003  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] messa di voce

Dear Lloyd and Vocalisters,

I want to add my own word of gratitude for Lloyd's posts. They are among
the clearest distillations of the best in contemporary thought about the
singing voice that I have seen.

I think it is instructive to realize that one of Lloyd's basic points was
made about 35 years ago by Vennard in his book "Singing: The Mechanism
and the Technique." Since I "grew up" with that book, pedagogically,
speaking, I have kept Vennard's points about messa di voce in the
forefront of my own singing and teaching.

Here are a few quotes (paragraphs 780, 783, 785 - pp. 213-4): "A
breathy [tone] has no part in the classic vocal discipline....it is a
drill in proper attack, avoiding either the glottal stroke or the breathy
beginning, both of which waste breath. The explosive start ruins the
pianissimo and the aspirate is not clear....In doing the
messa di voce start with as near to a falsetto tone as you can, but have
just a little heavy quality in it so that you can crescendo without an
audible shift into 'chest.' There must be an entering wedge. Then as
you crescendo, gradually drive in the wedge. There must be no moment
when the chest voice is 'kicked in,' as some writers put it."

The point is that I think Vennard has a felicitous way of describing the
messa di voce.

Regards,
Carl Rogers

emusic.com