Vocalist.org archive

From:  "katherine94040 <modulate58@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 21, 2003  6:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Cornelius Reid teaching ( Was Head voice from falsetto)

I am going to try one more time and then I will give up and let
you say whatever you wish to say unimpeded. Cornelius Reid, your
having studied with him not withstanding, does not teach that the
falsetto lies between the head and chest voice. I cannot imagine
where you and Mr. Hanson got this idea. If you will read his books,
you will see this simply is not so. Where he locates the falsetto
changes a little from book to book as his knowledge and understanding
grows over the years, but at no time does he indicate what you are
saying.

I quote from The Free Voice, chapter on vocal registers:

1. "there are two registers, one the falsetto, the other the 'chest.'
2. each register must be the product of a separate mechanical
(muscular) action.
3. each register appears as an automatic reflex to pitch and
intensity.
4. when the falsetto merges with the 'chest' register in a coordinate
relationship to become the 'head' voice, it considerably overlaps the
lower and the two share many notes in common."

Please forgive caps as I have not the capacity here for bolding or
italics. He teaches two registers, falsetto and chest, that MERGE TO
BECOME THE HEAD VOICE. In Cornelius' teaching, head voice is a
product of a coordinative relationship. It is not a separate thing
from falsetto.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22104 Re: Cornelius Reid teaching ( Was Head voice from falsetto)Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Tue  1/21/2003
22128 Re: Cornelius Reid teaching (and Garcia)taylor23ferranti <taylor23f@h...>taylor23ferranti Fri  1/24/2003