Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Sun Jan 19, 2003  11:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] unusual question

Jean Marie <jeaniebean77@h...> wrote about a now female transgender
voice student to which
John Link <johnlink@n...> replied:
>What exactly is your question? Why not just help your student to
>improve her singing of whatever music interests her?

I surmise that Jean Marie is asking for suggestions on how she can help her
student develop a complete singing voice that is credibly feminine, a trait
which I would think should be very important to a transgendered person
(sorry about the fractured syntax!). I suspect that her student is using a
"mixed voice" (as compared with "chest voice") for her speaking voice.
This, then, becomes her low notes. Her higher notes, then would likely be
light head mix, transitioning to head voice, then to so-called "pure head
voice" (falsetto). Hence, it seems that developing her falsetto and
learning to negotiate the transitions would be important. However, I am not
a pedagogue, so please apply the appropriate caveats to these, my opinions.
I wonder if countertenor methodology, appropriately modified, would be of help?

GWendel, tenor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22084 Re: unusual questionMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Mon  1/20/2003
22085 Re: unusual questionKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Mon  1/20/2003
22087 Re: unusual questionLeslie Christopher  Mon  1/20/2003
22101 Re: unusual questionTako Oda <toda@m...>takooda Tue  1/21/2003
emusic.com