Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Sun Jan 19, 2003  9:49 pm
Subject:  unusual question

I've an interesting challenge that I'd like some advice on. A person has
come to me for voice lessons. She is a woman in every way except for her
voice. I guess the correct term is trans-gender? She medically was not one
or the other(or both? I didn't ask), but she lived her young life as a male.
She now lives as a female. She has trained her speaking voice so that she
sounds female. She entertained professionally as a male - from what I've
heard her sing, I'd guess tenor. She is an excellent mimic and was well
known for doing impressions of other singers. She's never has formal
lessons, but would like to see if we can find a way for her to sing, but not
give away her former identity. Her speaking production is light and
forward. I'm thinking we can work with that, and maybe her falsetto, too.
She says she hasn't done much with it. Obviously, we can't change her vocal
instrument, but I figure tenor and alto ranges overlap enough to where we
can do something. She's interested in pop music, so transposing songs is a
possibility. Any thoughts? Has anyone had experience with this?

Jean Marie

22074 Re: unusual questionJohn Linkjohnlink010254 Sun  1/19/2003
22075 Re: unusual questionGWendel Yeegwyee2redshift Sun  1/19/2003
22084 Re: unusual questionMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Mon  1/20/2003
22085 Re: unusual questionKaren Mercedessingwiththespirit Mon  1/20/2003
22087 Re: unusual questionLeslie Christopher  Mon  1/20/2003
22101 Re: unusual questionTako Oda <toda@m...>takooda Tue  1/21/2003
emusic.com