Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Sat Jan 18, 2003  4:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Dear Lloyd and List:

--- In vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd W. Hanson"
<lloyd.hanson@n...> wrote:
> Rather than attempt to define a new system of keyboard notation it
> would seem logical that we agree to use an existing system.

The existing system you describe is the one that I am familiar with
and employ, and is described further at
http://www.daringdiva.com/notation.html.

I find the system logical and I will continue to employ it. Yet I
have also myself made mistakes using the system. Further, people
come and go and it would not seem possible to enforce the use of a
consistent system of note-reference on a discussion list.

While I agree with the suggestion to encourage adoption of the
standard "C4" notation, I believe, as others have suggested, it is
helpful to perhaps combine such notation with references to well-
known vocal pitches - for example, something like:

C6 - soprano high C
C5 - tenor high C
C4 - middle C
C3 - tenor low C