Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  11:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Naming the piano keys

Karen Mercedes wrote:

>There are 88 keys on a standard piano. Starting with the lowest as 1, the
highest as 88, why don't we just refer to them by their numbers plus the note?

Gosh darn Karen- What do I do with my 66 key synth or my portable 24 key
one. Key 88 would be right in the middle of my mic stand, but then
again, the ring of the boom might equal the 88th key on the piano.
Ummmm, I'll have to give it more thought.

>Or how about we just do it by frequencies of the equal-tempered piano keyboard.
So the lowest note would be A=27.50,. . .

That's okay for the notes below A-440 unless you use the new orchestral
tuning of A=442 then all the keys from there would be different. I
suppose we could set up a lookup table depending upon the tuning. Hmmm,
I think I'll take a break from all this serious thinking and go eat some
ludicrous salad. I hear it's good with four seasons dressing. On that
key- 'til next time-

Dr Dean

emusic.com