Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison" <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  6:52 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Leslie Christopher <leskayc@y...> wrote:
>So for what it is worth it seems to me that to begin numbering Cs with the
first at the bottom (or left) of the keyboard makes the most sense. Then you
always know where you are....

Unless...you don't have access to a piano, or your piano is electronic with less
than a full keyboard, or your memory of the piano keyboard is poor.

So I personally use the method Naomi described, of talking with my singing
friends and this list in terms of octaves or so above or below middle C. Given
the smaller range of singers' voices compared to instruments, that seems to work
pretty well.

As an aside, in my instrumental musician life, I NEVER heard anyone refer to
notes by any numbering system. We talked about notes in relations to notation,
e.g., the B the 3rd line on G clef. Before Vocalist, the only place I saw music
notation terminology was in music history/analysis books, where they try to
describe in words what music does. It often seemed that every book used a
different system - some use the C4-based system, others used that big-small
letters system. I never got comfortable with either one, but then, I never had
to write a Masters thesis or a Doctoral dissertation!

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22048 Re: Octaves..my suggestion!!!Lloyd W. Hansonlwh1 Sat  1/18/2003
22049 Re: Octaves..my suggestion!!!Michael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Sat  1/18/2003
emusic.com