Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@a...>
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  8:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Octaves..my suggestion!!!

Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:

>It evidently was considered important to begin the process from the bottom C of
the piano keyboard.
>Is this what most on the list understand the system to be?

Not all. If you look at the industry standard Steinway piano shown at
http://www.ptg.org/museum/Images/steinway.jpg you will see that it
begins with the "A" key. Depending upon how you number, it is either A0
or A1. I learned from Elmer Bernstein in Julliard the first "A" is
considered A0 or just plain A. The next then would be A1, then A2 all
the way up to A7. If you want to take his word then middle "C" is C3,
not C4. Piano keys on standard pianos start at "A" and end at C7.

Dr Dean

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22050 Re: Octaves..my suggestion!!!Jamestranquil2404 Sat  1/18/2003
emusic.com