Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael <chosdad@y...
Date:  Fri Jan 17, 2003  1:51 am
Subject:  Re: Stupid question I'm sure

Dear Paul and List:

I would say that your ability to "hit" 3 octaves is good - but more
important is the quality of the notes and not just how high or low
you can make a noise. Generally, range can be improved. In terms of
sheer range, though, many of the singers I admire are not necessarily
remarkable.

It remains a subject of debate as to what constitutes legitimate
range in the male voice, especially in a non-classical style...

One example of a singer with a very large range is male Soprano
Randall Wong - he has the largest range produced with good quality
that I have heard in a man - he can sing with good quality from say
A2 (a baritone low A) to above a soprano high C - and he is quite a
good light soprano! No doubt, however, some would argue that he, and
others with similar ranges, are "falsettists." Pavarotti's fame
as "king of the high Cs" is based on a publicly displayed range of
just a bit more than 2 octaves - ever hear Pavarotti sing lower than
C3? Or higher than maybe Eb5? So the ability to sing with really good
quality for around two octaves can be impressive, especially
depending on how the upper notes are sung.

Cheers,

Michael Gordon

emusic.com