Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  11:08 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] VOCAL HEALTH QUESTION--URGENT!!!!!

One or two people suggested vocal hemorrhage. I'd say wait on running to
the ENT. Hemorrhage is way down on my list of possible causes.

When you have a respiratory infection, often the vocal apparatus gets
swollen as do the nasal mucus membranes. You simply can not speed up
healing. I am a bit surprised your doctor gave you steroids. As I have
said many times in the past, steroids are ONLY for the person who has no
choice because of a job or some situation that can not be avoided and then
only when the person has a deep understanding of vocal care. I would not
prescribe them for a student, even a grad student, to be able to attend a
rehearsal. Singing on steroid IS one way of getting a vocal hemorrhage.

Vocal rest is best. Do that over your 4 day weekend coming up. That does
not mean no talking or singing. It means speak as little as necessary and
vocalize gently to maintain some flexibility. Sing up or down comfortably
and gently and expand the range as the voice recovers. You may find you
sing better after recovery from a respiratory infection if you've been
singing a lot before it.

Drink LOTS of fluids and inhale steam to keep the membranes moist and
soothed.

For the future, NEVER touch your hands to your nose, mouth or eyes unless
you just washed them.

See also "Colds - 'tis the season" at
http://www.psu.edu/ur/2003/medicalminuteindex03.html

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
22097 Just curious question....Justin Randolphsneezy_1 Tue  1/21/2003
22105 Re: Just curious question....Amanda Kelleymandasings Tue  1/21/2003
emusic.com