Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  5:24 pm
Subject:  more venerable advice

Reg wrote:

>I seem to agree with the venerable Diane on this. :)
>Is venerable too strong Diane?

That is one of the nicer names I have been called! :-)

I agree with the rest of Reg's message, except this part:

>Sweet Adelines, while being most enjoyable, do not
>generally challenge the singer to perfect his vocal technique.
>In fact I consider that the solo performance is the real
>challenge and group performance can compromise the
>degree of good vocal technique already achieved.

I think you must not have had any contact with Sweet Adelines lately. This
organization is hot on good vocal production. I have just returned from a tour
of the Florida Panhandle, where I coached four of our Sweet Adelines choruses,
and gave PVIs (private voice instruction) to several members of one group.
(This is common procedure throughout our organization.) At our Interntational
Education Seminar, in addition to a wealth of classes on vocal production, there
are PVIs offered at every class period. Today's Sweet Adelines are very
interested in singing well, and are working very hard at it.

This summer, as many of you know, we presented a couple of sessions at the NATS
convention in San Diego on "The Barbershop Singer." One of our goals was to get
classical voice teachers to learn more about barbershop singing and become
interested in resourcing the barbershop singers in their home areas. At the
convention I met several NATS teachers who are already coaching and teaching
Sweet Adelines groups and individuals where they live. It's a new day in the
barbershop world, and we love it! Long live good singing in any form!

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu