Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  2:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:30:43 -0000 "tragic1980 <tragic1980@y...>"
<tragic1980@y...> wrote:

> Hello group. This is my story. I am a 22 yr old
> male wanting to get into singing Rock. I have a good voice and can
manipulate it to sound
> like many different artists. I know I need to
> train my voice really badly, but as I started taking lessons, the teacher
was firm on
> teaching me to sing classical. Now I have
> nothing at all against classical, don't get me wrong it is a beautiful
style, but nothing
> like rock that I can see of, or am I too naive?

I'll start out with my caveats: I'm not a voice teacher, and I don't sing
rock music. I'm a classical music lover and singer. Before I started voice
study, my voice was not one that anyone would pay to hear, no matter what
genre I chose to sing. After classical study, I have the ability to sing in
about any way my voice is suited for. And I definitely can sing popular music
better than I could have before I started to study.

In your case, you have clearly articulated goals, and that's great. It will be
a challenge finding the way to achieve those goals, because those are not
exactly the same as the goals most classical voice teachers are accustomed to
helping their students achieve.

The ideal thing for you is a voice teacher with strong background in classical
vocal technique who is also conversant with the popular style. It's like what
I get with my voice teacher - we work on technique and style at the same time,
we aren't separating the ends and the means.

However, a benefit to you of studying classical with classical repertoire for
a while is to learn for yourself the principles of classical vocal technique,
which will give you a basis to evaluate others you work with later on who are
primarily knowledgeable in popular styles. Once you and your classical
teacher have some basics "down" - you've developed a vocabulary that works for
communicating with eacher about effective vocal technique, you may be able to
bring in some rock pieces and work out together on a healthy way for you to
produce the sounds you'd like to be able to stylistically produce. If your
classical teacher is open-minded and adventurous, this could turn out to be a
great journey for you both.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21974 Re: Advice needededsmed969 <michael.gum@d...>edsmed969 Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com