Vocalist.org archive

From:  Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  12:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

Although this thread is called "Advice needed", please
don't take what I will write as an advice at all.

I don't know any famous rock singer that doesn't
scream and harm his vocal folds in all possible ways.
And their fans expect than to do that! Note that I'm
not referring to "old times rock", but I'm talking
about what a teenager would understand as "rock". What
I usually say when I hear these rock singers is: make
good money and become famous while you have some
health, and do it fast!

For example, there is one particular singer in Brazil
that has destroyed his voice by singing "brazilian
country music". This style requires the singers to
produce very high notes, and since they don't have
good technique the voice is often spoiled. But this
particular singer is still famous and sells a lot of
CDs every year. Why? Because he became famous while he
had a "good" voice. Probably if he had been more
careful with his voice he would not be sick but would
not be famous also.

I'm not saying that anyone should destroy their vocal
folds trying to become rich and famous, but if one
chooses to sing this kind music (rock), he must be
aware of the consequences.

Cassio

Ok Diane - but is classical music the only music that
can aid that <BR>
process?&nbsp; Suppose a Sweet Adelines barbershop
singer comes to you for <BR>
lessons - couldn't you work with her on her barbershop
material? And <BR>
in the process, stay within the style that she wants
to sing? If a <BR>
student wants to sing rock - and being an old fogey
myself I'm not <BR>
entirely clear what that &quot;rock&quot; means -
aren't there &quot;rock&quot; songs <BR>
that are reasonable to work on for technique?<BR>
<BR>
Just an aside, and perhaps to be devil's advocate - I
have taken <BR>
lessons mostly with classical teachers, and at least
in my case it <BR>
didn't turn me into a &quot;classical&quot; or
&quot;opera&quot; sounding singer, but I'm <BR>
not much of a rock etc. singer either.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>
Michael Gordon<BR>
<BR>
</tt>

Busca Yahoo!
O melhor lugar para encontrar tudo o que você procura na Internet
http://br.busca.yahoo.com/

emusic.com