Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  10:04 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Advice needed

At 06:14 PM 15/01/03 -0600, you wrote:
> Michael G. wrote in response to me:
>
> Diane: As I explained to him, what he needs to learn is a strong vocal
technique, and classical music happens to aid very well in that process.

> Michael: Ok Diane - but is classical music the only music that can aid
that process?

> +++Of course it's not the only music that can aid in the process. I
simply said that it "aids very well" in the process. And in my situation
(teaching in a college music dept.), the basic curriculum is classical
music, and that's what we primarily teach, though we do teach some other
styles in addition (not instead of).

from Reg....
A rushed reply so I hope I succeed in stating my view clearly.
I seem to agree with the venerable Diane on this. :)
Is venerable too strong Diane?

It is my experience that a graded classical set of material
is most helpful in developing a solid technique. It is a fact
that there is some material which is impossible to sing with
any degree of professionalism unless the technique is both
correct and reliable. Similarly there is music at the other
end of the spectrum, where a simple, yet undeveloped
technique will do.

I could give lots of examples of this but the most important
aspect is for the pupil to accept that just "getting by" with
a performance, is well short of the goal. I'm sure there are
some who, at a particular age and inadequate degree of
development, come to the conclusion that they had better
get on with their career and too hell with the technique.
Wrong!
If the technique is not adequate to undertake some of the
more difficult classical works, then it is not a good technique
and it is probably, to some degree, painful to listen to.

It has to be understood that the student teaches himself
to sing with the aid of his teacher and his experience,
modified by his own determination to accept nothing less
than that which he judges to be the best.
If you have low standards, then singing well is easy!

Sweet Adelines, while being most enjoyable, do not
generally challenge the singer to perfect his vocal technique.
In fact I consider that the solo performance is the real
challenge and group performance can compromise the
degree of good vocal technique already achieved.

Similarly I think that ROCK or some other styles of
singing have reduced technical requirement and do not
challenge the singer to arrive at a vocal technique of
both freedom and reliability.

Just the way I see it.

Regards Reg.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21991 A Professional Layman Needs Helpdonald okpekpedonwhitee37 Thu  1/16/2003
21992 Re: A Professional Layman Needs HelpDean FH Macy  Thu  1/16/2003
21997 Re: A Professional Layman Needs HelpMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Thu  1/16/2003
22031 Re: A Professional Layman Needs Helpdonald okpekpedonwhitee37 Fri  1/17/2003
21994 Re: Advice neededMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Thu  1/16/2003
22001 Re: Advice neededtragic1980 <tragic1980@y...>tragic1980 Thu  1/16/2003
22004 Re: Advice neededJamestranquil2404 Thu  1/16/2003
22008 Re: Advice neededtragic1980 <tragic1980@y...>tragic1980 Thu  1/16/2003
22007 Re: Advice neededJamestranquil2404 Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com