Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Jan 15, 2003  10:51 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Advice needed

Paul wrote:

> He explained that
> once you learn classical you can sing anything...ok that's great, but
> I dont want to sing "anything" just Rock, it's what I love and live.
> So my question is should I go back to taking lessons with this
> specific teacher or look for one who can teach me more towards rock
> singing?

This is the age-old question. I had a new student today ask me why he needed to
learn classical music, when he really wants to sing jazz. As I explained to
him, what he needs to learn is a strong vocal technique, and classical music
happens to aid very well in that process. When he learns to sing well, he can
then adapt his singing to whatever styles he chooses. The problem is that
beginners who try to sing rock, jazz, or certain other styles before they get
their technique established often end up compromising their technique when they
try to sing the other styles.

There is certainly plenty of good classical music (songs in English) that should
be enjoyable to sing and that can help you develop your technique. You don't
have to sing Italian opera, after all! I definitely recommend that you spend
the time with a good classical teacher who will help you get your technique on
the road before you start fulltime rock singing. Singing rock music without
knowing how to do it properly is one of the quickest ways to wreck your voice.

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21954 Re: Advice neededMichael <chosdad@y...>chosdad Wed  1/15/2003
21968 Re: Advice neededCássio Ribeiro Thu  1/16/2003
emusic.com