Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Jan 15, 2003  2:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] REPERTOIRE: Voice and String Quartet

Ernest Chausson's Chanson perpetuelle (von Stade's recording is a classic)
can be performed by soprano or high mezzo. In non-soprano repertoire
these is also Othmar Schoeck's Notturno for baritone. I believe both
George Rochberg and Arnold Schoenberg have string quartets with soprano parts
in the final movements. Also, with piano, there is Ralph Vaughan Williams's
On Wenlock Edge and Gabriel Faure's La Bonne Chanson (Faure himself did
not particularly care for this arrangement.)

If you don't care for Renata Scotto's version of Il tramonto, both the
Irmgard Seefried and Anne Sofie von Otter version are very fine.

Mark

"Sing on the interest, not on the principal" - Florence Page Kimball, to
her student Leontyne Price
"The voice is not a fist." - Fritz Wunderlich
"I sing with a slim voice." - Birgit Nilsson

emusic.com